(updated Oct 2020)
- Writing Support for International Graduate Students: Enhancing Transition and Success. Routledge, 2018. (a podcast conversation with Daniel Shea)
- Co-edited with B. Acharya, B. Global Perspectives on Journalism in Nepal: Nepalese New Media in the 21st Century. Routledge, 2022.
- Co-edited with Gaulee, U, & Bista, K. Rethinking Education Across Borders: Issues and Perspectives about Globally Mobile Students. Springer, 2020.
- Co-edited with Bista, K. & Raby, C: Higher Education in Nepal: Practice, Policy and Perspectives.(September 2019).
- Manuscript under preparation: Politics of International Students: Global/Local Dynamics. Anticipated completion: Spring 2021.
- Data being gathered: Writing Education in South Asia: Obstacles and Pathways, Expected completion: Fall 2021.
C. JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Reworking after rejection: Co-authored with Subedi, S., Pervin, N., & Bhowmik, P. “Addressing Demands with Support: Fostering the Enrootment of Scholarship in the Global South.”
- Under revision (coauthored with Ligia Mihut, Santosh Khadka, and Sara Alvarez). “On Their Own Terms: Taking a Grassroots Approach to Transnational Writing Research.” ___. Expected publication, 2022.
- Under revision: “There’s a need for freedom”: Rhetorical-critical language mobilization in translingual writing.” ___. Expected publication: 2022.
- “Writing Process Revisited: International Graduate Students’ Exploration of Macrosocial Space.” Bal Krishna Sharma and Suresh Canagarajah, International Journal of Bilingual Education, 2020.
- Focusing on International Graduate Students” (invited editorial essay). Journal of International Students, vol. 9, no. 3. 2019.
- “Internationalizing Writing in the STEM Disciplines,” Across the Disciplines. Special issue “Bringing the Outside In: Internationalizing the WAC/WID Classroom,” edited by Stefanie Frigo and Collie Fulford. 2018.
- “World Rhetorics: A Course for the Next Generation of Writing Teachers.” Composition Studies, 1. (pp. 108-26). 2016.
- “Cultural Schemas and Pedagogical Uses of Literacy Narratives: A Reflection on My Journey with Reading and Writing.” College Composition and Communication, 1. 2015.
- “Bonds of Difference: Participation as Inclusion” & “Bonds of Difference: Illusion of Inclusion.” Co-authored with Maha Bali. Hybrid Pedagogy: A Digital Journal of Learning, Teaching, and Technology. (2-part article). 2014.
- “Digital Storytelling in the Composition Classroom: Addressing the Challenges.” Computers and Composition Online, Winter 2013.
- “Writing a Translingual Script: Closed Captions in the Multilingual Hearing Classroom.” Collaborated with Amy Lueck. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 3. (multimodal text). 2013.
- “Monolingualism among Multilingual Scholars and its Implications for EAP/ESP.” Professional and Academic English, 40 (Summer – Autumn), 28-43. 2012.
D. BOOK CHAPTERS
- Accepted, under revision (co-authored with Adhikari, S): “Romantic ambivalences: Experiencing Nepal (from) within and without.” TheShangrila Nation: Memory, Identity, and Nepal. Pandey et al. Expected publication, 2022.
- Accepted, under revision: Co-authored with Gene Hammond (invited chapter, drafting): “Transnational WAC Collaboration.” Eds: Jonathan Hall and Bruce Horner. Anticipated publication: 2022.
- “Teaching World Rhetorics: Promoting Pedagogy to Address the Dynamics of Marginalization.” Routledge Handbook of Comparative World Rhetoric. Ed: Keith Lloyd. Anticipated publication: 2020.
- “Realigning Higher Education in Nepal.” In Bista, Sharma, Raby eds. Higher Education in Nepal: Policies and Perspectives, Routledge, 2019.
- “Introduction: Telling stories, generating perspectives: Local–global dynamics in Nepalese higher education.” In Bista, Sharma, Raby eds. Higher Education in Nepal: Policies and Perspectives, Routledge, 2019. Co-authored with Krishna Bista and Rosalind L. Raby.
- “Conclusion: Complexities of higher education in Nepal” (with Rosalind L. Raby & Krishna Bista). In Bista, Sharma, Raby eds. Higher Education in Nepal: Policies and Perspectives, Routledge, 2019. Co-authored with Krishna Bista and Rosalind L. Raby.
- “Making the shifts to change the system: Implementing the semester system through pedagogical training in Tribhuvan University.” In Bista, Sharma, Raby eds. Higher Education in Nepal: Policies and Perspectives, Routledge, 2019. Co-authored with Sudha Tripathi and Surendra Subedi.
- “International Student Mobility: Examining Trends and Tensions.” Eds. Krishna Bista. International Student Mobility and Opportunities for Growth in the Global Marketplace, IGI Global, 2018. Co-authored with Krishna Bista and Uttam Gaulee.
- Addressing Monolingual Dispositions with Translingual Pedagogy. In Practical Pedagogies: Engaging Domestic and International Students in Translingual & Translocal Writing. Frost, Blum-Malley & Kiernan. (Book under contract with U. Press of Colorado, anticipated publication: spring 2020).
- “Unraveling Colonial Hegemonies: Scholarship and Teaching with Rhetorical Traditions from South Asia.” Rhetorics Elsewhere and Otherwise: Contested Modernities and Decolonial Visions. Romeo García, Damián Baca, 2019.
- “Translanguaging in Hiding: Effects of English-Only Instruction on Education in Nepal.” In Transnational Writing Education: Theory and Practice. Xiaoye You. (Book under contract with Routledge; anticipated publication: fall 2018).
- “Using Mobile Videocapture to Facilitate Student Writing and Learning.” In Mobile Technology and the Writing Classroom. Ed: Lutkewitte, NCTE, 2016. (pp. 164-178). Co-authored with Soni Adhikari.
- “Translating Success: Academic Transition of International Students in the US.” In International Student Mobility, Services, and Policy in Higher Education. K. Bista. & G. Foster. IGI Global, 2015. (pp. 1-16).
- “Third Eye: An Exhibit of Literacy Narratives from Nepal.” In Stories that Speak to Us: Exhibits from the Digital Archives of Literacy Narratives. Cynthia Selfe et al. Utah: The University of Utah Press imprint, 2012. (multimodal: with 40 text pages with 17 videos & transcript). [link]
- “Global Popular Culture and Literacy Practices of Nepalese Youth Online.” In Screening Literacy Across Cultures. Bronwyn Williams & Amy Zenger. London: Routledge, 2012. (pp. 151-166). Co-authored with Bal K. Sharma.
- “Rethinking Language and Writing in Composition.” A response essay. JAC. 29 (1&2): 2009. 251-55.
E. BOOK REVIEW
- Student Mobility and the Internationalization of Higher Education: National Policies and Strategies from Six World Regions (a Project Atlas Report), Journal of International Students, Arkansas State U., 2012.
F. SIGNIFICANT NON PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Co-authored with Subhash Nepali: “न्यायको लागि दलित लेखन” (Jhan Naya) — 2019.
- Co-authored with Sudha Tripathi and Surendra Subedi: “Transformations in Education” (Republica) – 2018.
- Co-authored with Surendra Subedi, Bamdev Gautam, and Bandana Jain: “अनलाइन शिक्षामा स्पष्ट बुझाईको आवश्यकता” (Kantipur Daily) — 2020.
- “A MOOC Delusion: Why Visions to Educate the World are Absurd.” Chronicle of Higher Education: Worldwise. July 16, 2013.
- 60~ op eds (as of May 2020) for Republica (national English daily in Nepal, sister publication of The New York Times). A column on higher education and society, July 2014-Present.
- “Editorial”: International Journal of Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Higher Education, 1, 2016.
- “Editorial,” Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Pedagogies. Special Issues on Massive Open Online Courses & International Education, guest edited with Michael Murphy, 2014-15.
- Editorials, co-authored as associate editor (1 of 4): Journal of NELTA (Nepal English Language Teachers Association), Issues 14 through 17 (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012).
- Editorials, ELT Choutari, blog-based monthly magazine on English Language Teaching, read by English teachers around the world; 2009-12. (10 editorials).
Non- Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- “Semester System in Nepal: Taking a Collaborative, Constructivist Approach to Teacher Training” (co-authored with Surendra Subedi. Tribhuvan University Journal. (non peer reviewed journal article). “Criticalizing the pedagogy of English studies.”Bodhi: An Interdisciplinary Journal. 4.1 (2011): 111-35.
- “A Teacher’s Letter Home” Journal of NELTA (Nepal English Language Teachers Association), 14.1, 2009.
- “English Language Teaching in Nepal: Promises and Challenges for Teachers.” Contemporary Issues in ELT, (NELTA Chapter Birgunj, Nepal), 2009.
- “Teaching: What, How, and Why?” Chrysanthemum, (Society of English Studies, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu), 2007.
- “The Language of Silence,” Chrysanthemum, 3. (Society of English Studies Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu), 2000.
- “Technology and the Demands of Change.” Journal of NELTA (Nepal English Language Teachers Association), 4.1-2, 1999.
- “Translingual, Transcultural, Transnational: From Buzzwords to Teaching Strategies.” Transnational Writing Blog. Conference on College Composition and Communication, Feb.-Mar., 2015. (3 posts)
- Eight blog posts on teaching writing, including four collaborated with SBU colleagues. RhetCompatStonyBrook (Writing Program blog, Stony Brook University). 2014-17.
- Over 100 posts on personal blog at shyamsharma.net, on issues including new media and writing studies, critical pedagogy, and supporting international students. 2009-Present.
G. CREATIVE WRITING
- Dukhirahane Desh (a collection of poems in Nepali), Kathmandu: Sunlight Publication, (title: translates roughly to “country that keeps hurting”; social issues/political satire).