PAST ACADEMIC SERVICES
Judge (National Committee), 2014 Norman Mailer High School and College Writing Awards Program, National Council of Teachers of English, Spring 2014.
Reviewer, Annual Convention of the National Council of Teachers of English, Fall 2013.
Collaborator, SUNY Council on Writing (participated in the development and drafting of position statement on online education, Fall 2013.
Volunteer, Story Collection Booth, Digital Archive of Literacy Narrative, Conference on College Composition and Communication, March 2014, March 2013.
EDITORIAL ROLE, ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP/ENGAGEMENT
Guest Editor, Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Emerging Pedagogies, Special Issue on Massive Open Online Courses,projected publication date: July 15, 2013.
Social Media Correspondent, Conference on College Composition & Communication, Indianapolis, Mar 18-22, 2014
Leader, Connected Community initiative, Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2010-
Information Chair (executive member), Graduate Student Council, University of Louisville, 2010-11
Executive Member,English Graduate Organization (EGO), University of Louisville, 2007-08, 2008-09
MENTORSHIP AND OTHER SERVICE
Mentor, Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (URECA), Stony Brook University( Organized multimodal poster presentation by students taught at the Department of Global Studies & Human Development), April 30, 2014
Member of Planning Committee, “Celebration of Teaching and Learning” (2012), Delphi Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Louisville, 2011-12
Graduate Student Ambassador, School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies (Graduate School), University of Louisville, 2011-12
Mentor to new graduate students in the English Department, University of Louisville, 2009, 2010, 2011
Student Representative, Strategic Technology Executive Committee(STEC), University of Louisville, 2011
- Chaired a session (“Learning and Teaching: Advancing the Way You Write”), Conference on College Composition and Communication, Indianapolis, Indiana, March 2014
- Served on the Local Committee of the 2010 Conference on College Composition and Communication, Louisville, Kentucky, Mar., 2010
- Chaired a session (“D.H. Lawrence and The New Age”), The Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture since 1900, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Feb. 2009
- Chaired a session (“Application of Web 2.0 technologies in the classroom”), Thomas R. Watson Conference, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Oct. 2008
- Chaired a session (“Liberal Critique of Empire”) in Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture Since 1900, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, March 2008
- Participated in organizing the September 2003 and September 2005 international conferences of Nepali Folklore Society, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Contributed to the organization of annual international conferences of Nepal English Language Teachers Association, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006
- “In Tanzania, MOOCs Seen as ‘Too Western’.” Tech President, by Amanda Sperber, Nov. 22, 2013
- Best Practices in ePortfolio use: Interview for Faculty Center, Stony Brook University, March 2014
OTHER SERVICE ACTIVITIES
Class observation for adjunct faculty in the Program in Writing and Rhetoric (classrooms visited for Christine Fena, Kimberly Towers
Graduate Research Assistant to the Dean of the Graduate School, University of Louisville, 2009-2011.
- Conducted research, helped develop programs, and assisted with the establishment of the PLAN initiative for graduate students’ professional development
- Worked with students, faculty, and administrators from across the university, learning how to pool expertise and resources, creating opportunities for professional development of graduate students
- Developed content and assisted with design and maintenance of the PLAN initiative website
- Gathered and documented program data, analyzed and presented results, produced and documented annual project reports and promotional materials
- Developed, organized and led the presentation of three PLAN workshops along with other students from different disciplines
- Assisted the Dean with various other day to day activities for the PLAN initiative
Assistant Director, Composition Program (Consultant for College of Business), University of Louisville, 2009-10.
- Consulted with student and faculty writers
- Presented writing skill workshops in the classroom upon faculty members’ request
- Collaborated with some of the faculty members for integrating and teaching writing skills into their courses
- Developed and provided resources for student writers on the consultant’s website
- Added group consultation at flexible hours by using Skype conferencing and synchronously editable web documents
- Digitized existing resources and documented my service as resource for future assistant directors in this position
Assistant Director, University Writing Center, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Aug. 2007- 2008.
- Developed resources for writers and also made them available on the WC website
- Consulted with clients in the Writing Center, with a focus on multilingual writers
- Consulted in and helped further develop the Virtual Writing Center (VWC)
- Gave classroom presentations for students and workshops for faculty and staff
- Created and maintained the Writing Center website
- Set up a mechanism for clients to make their own appointments using TutorTrac
- Wrote administrative manuals for future graduate assistants
- Mentored and participated in the training of new consultants, developed resources for the VWC, and assisted the Director with the promotion of WC services and with other day to day activities
Consultant, University Writing Center, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Aug. 2006 – Aug. 2007.
- Consulted with WC clients including students, faculty members, and university staff
- Supported the Director by adding and updating resources for writers
- Conducted research on consultation session using peer observation, closed vertical transcription, and theoretical scholarship on significant issues of consultation
- Added and updated useful handouts for writers/clients
Consultant and Translator, Family Health International, Kathmandu, 2005 – 2006.
- Translated documents between English and Nepali
- Provided consultations on issues of language and meaning in culture and context