- Member, Graduate Studies Committee, Fall 2016-Present.
- Member, Strategic Plan Working Group, Fall 2016-Present.
- Member, Assistant Professor Search Committee, Spring-Summer 2016.
- Member, Writing Minor Committee, Program in Writing and Rhetoric, 2013-Present.
- Founder, Facilitator, RhetComp@StonyBrook, a department blog for teaching discussions, 2013-15.
- Teaching Observer, Christine Fena, Geri Lipsultz, Katherine Johnston, Kimberly Towers (2014-16).
- Faculty Mentor: URECA Presentation (Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities).
Prepared students from WRT 301, GLS 102, and WRT 102 (2014, ’15, ’16, ’17).
- Faculty Mentor: Mentored and nominated students who received outstanding academic awards: Sarah (2017), Torrye Zullo (2017), Jhinelle Walker (2017), Crystal Ling (2015), Claire Smith (2013).
- Co-Chair, Serving with Dr. Rose Tirotta-Esposito, Design of Student Learning Experience (Area 3), Middle States Accreditation, 2021-
- Member, Curriculum Committee, College of Arts and Science, 2018-
- Member, University Covid-19 Planning Task Force, Senate Member, 2020-
- Member, International Students Success Task Force, Spring 2017. (1 of 12, co-presented with another member the group’s key findings and suggestions on international graduate student success).
- Advisory Board Member, Multilingual and Intercultural Research Center, Stony Brook U, 2015-17.
- Faculty Advisor: i) South Asian Student Alliance, ii) Himalayan Club – 2016-Present.
- Member, Subcommittee for promotion of writing in the disciplines, College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan, Spring 2017-Present.
- Member, University Faculty Senate (and A&S at large), Stony Brook University, 2015-2017.
- Writing Mentor: supported graduate students of colleagues, including Dr. Radu Sion (Computer Science), Dr. Jessica Gurevitch (Ecology and Evolution), with students’ writing and publishing, 2013-Present.
- Host: Invited/facilitated guest lecture by Dr. Krishna Bista, on international students, with Alfreda James, for Career Center & Multilingual and Intercultural Research Center, Apr. 14, 2016.
- Member, Search committee, Academic Liaison, University Library, Fall 2014.
- Member, Planning Committee, “Celebration of Teaching and Learning” (2012), Delphi Center for Teaching and Learning, U. of Louisville, 2011-12.
- Graduate Student Ambassador, Graduate School, U. of Louisville, 2011-12.
- Member, Search Committee, Program Manager for Graduate School & Faculty Center, May-Aug. 2011.
- Student Representative: Strategic Technology Executive Committee (STEC), U of Louisville, 2011.
- Mentor to new graduate students in the English Department, U of Louisville, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Information Chair (executive member): Graduate Student Council, U. of Louisville, 2010-11.
- Facilitator/leader (1 of 25), Connected Community initiative, CCCC, 2010-11.
- Member, Local Committee, CCCC, Louisville, Kentucky, Mar., 2010.
- Vice President, SUNY Council on Writing (SUNY COW), 2019-: help document organization history; support with organizing conferences; update/maintain website.
- Secretary, SUNY Council on Writing (SUNY COW), 2015-2019: help document organization history; support with organizing conferences; update/maintain website.
- Member, ad hoc working group, SUNY Council on Writing members: participated in drafting position statement on online education, Summer-Fall 2013.
- Chair, Conference panels: The Louisville Conference on Literature and Culture since 1900, of Louisville, KY, Feb. 2009; Thomas R. Watson Conference, U of Louisville, KY, Oct. 2008.
- Co-Chair, Research Initiative Grant Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication (National Council on Teachers of English), 2021-22
- Chair, Research Initiative Grant Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication (National Council on Teachers of English), 2020-21
- Member, Research Initiative Grant Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication (National Council on Teachers of English), 2019-20
- Member (at-large), Executive Board, Consortium on Graduate Communication. 2017-2020.
- Reviewer, Annual convention proposals, National Council of Teachers of English: 2015, ’16, ’17.
- Member, Selection Committee, Braddock Award (for best journal article of the year), Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2016.
- Coordinator (1 of 4), Transnational Writing Standing Group, Social Media Team, Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2014-Present.
- Guest Editor, Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Emerging Pedagogies, Special Issue on Massive Open Online Courses, with Dr. Mike Murphy, 2014 -15.
- Facilitator, Monthly webinar series on International Higher Education & International Students, with Krishna Bista (for Journal of International Students), 2016-Present.
- Judge (National Committee),2014 Norman Mailer High School and College Writing Awards Program, National Council of Teachers of English, Spring 2014.
- Associate Editor, Journal of International Students, 2013-Present.
- Reviewer, Journal of International Students, 2012-13.
- Reviewer, Journal of Global Literacies, Technologies, and Pedagogies (JOGLTEP), 2012-14.
- Reviewer, Journal of Rhetoric, Professional Communication, and Globalization, 2012-2014.
- External Reader
- Doctoral dissertation, Olalekun Adepoju, University of Louisville, 2018-.
- Doctoral dissertation, Jamila Scott, Morgantown State University, MD., 2017-18
- MA thesis, Shyam B. Pandey, Minnesota State University, 2016-17.
- Chair: Conference panels, CCCC, Portland, OR, Mar. 2017; CCCC, Indianapolis, IN, Mar. 2014.
- Volunteer, Narrative Collection Booth, Digital Archive of Literacy Narrative, CCCC, 2013, 2014.
- Volunteer, Conference of the Nepalese Folklore Society, Kathmandu, Nepal, Member, 2004-06.
- Promoter, Gurukul Theaters, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2004-06.
- Volunteer, NELTA Conferences 2001-2006.
- Editor (1 of 5), Journal of NELTA (Nepal English Language Teachers’ Association), Nepal, 2009-12.
- Founder, Editor, International Journal of Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Higher Education, 2016-
- Trainer, Webinar series, Tribhuvan University, Nepal (helping implement semester-based teaching/learning practices), Nov. 2016 – July 2017.
- Coordinator, Monthly online teacher training webinars titled “WACAP” (Writing Across Curriculum and in the Professions) for instructors across campus at Midwestern U., Nepal (a program that invited Dr. Gene Hammond and other American scholars as guest speakers for some of the sessions, leading up to a half-week conference in Surkhet, Nepal, in August 2016), Oct. 2015 – June 2016.
- Facilitator, Educators Across Contexts, a transnational network of teachers, 2012-16.
- Co-founder, Editor, ELT Choutari, blog-based monthly magazine on English Language Teaching, read by English teachers around the world; edited with 3-6 co-editors, 2009-12.
I’ve also listed my contributions to Nepalese and South Asian academic community under presentations and workshops/lectures.
नेपालमाको प्राज्ञिक क्षेत्रमा गरेका सेवाको सूची यहाँ छ ।
SERVICE/EXPERIENCE: ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATION
Graduate Research Assistant to the Dean of the Graduate School, University of Louisville, 2009-2011. In this position, I helped the Dean, Dr. Beth Boehm, develop a university-wide initiative known as “The PLAN,” which was designed to help graduate students develop professionally, enhance life skills, succeed academically, and learn networking skills (P.L.A.N). While learning how to establish and promote new services and programs in the university, I also extensively used and further enhanced my technological skills. While developing and launching the initiative, I had the opportunity to hone a range of skills: research, program development, assessment, design and implementation, archival of materials, and marketing and promotion of the program and specific events.
- Conducted research, helped develop programs, and assisted with the establishment of the PLAN initiative for graduate students’ professional development
- Worked with students, faculty, and administrators from across the university, learning how to pool expertise and resources, creating opportunities for professional development of graduate students
- Developed content and assisted with design and maintenance of the PLAN initiative website
- Gathered and documented program data, analyzed and presented results, produced and documented annual project reports and promotional materials
- Developed, organized and led the presentation of three PLAN workshops along with other students from different disciplines
- Assisted the Dean with various other day to day activities for the PLAN initiative
Assistant Director, Composition Program (Consultant for College of Business), University of Louisville, 2009-10. In this position, I promoted and increased service usage by two-fold among students, and invited faculty members who were using the consultation service for proofreading their work to conversations about writing consultation as a broader service.
- Consulted with student and faculty writers
- Presented writing skill workshops in the classroom upon faculty members’ request
- Collaborated with some of the faculty members for integrating and teaching writing skills into their courses
- Developed and provided resources for student writers on the consultant’s website
- Added group consultation at flexible hours by using Skype conferencing and synchronously editable web documents
- Digitized existing resources and documented my service as resource for future assistant directors in this position
Assistant Director, University Writing Center, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Aug. 2007- 2008. Invited to serve as an AD by the Director, I worked in this position during the second year of my master’s program.
- Developed resources for writers and also made them available on the WC website
- Consulted with clients in the Writing Center, with a focus on multilingual writers
- Consulted in and helped further develop the Virtual Writing Center (VWC)
- Gave classroom presentations for students and workshops for faculty and staff
- Created and maintained the Writing Center website
- Set up a mechanism for clients to make their own appointments using TutorTrac
- Wrote administrative manuals for future graduate assistants
- Mentored and participated in the training of new consultants, developed resources for the VWC, and assisted the Director with the promotion of WC services and with other day to day activities
Consultant, University Writing Center, U of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Aug. 2006 – Aug. 2007. Working as part of my GTA-ship at the WC, I did the following work:
- Consulted with WC clients including students, faculty members, and university staff
- Supported the Director by adding and updating resources for writers
- Conducted research on consultation session using peer observation, closed vertical transcription, and theoretical scholarship on significant issues of consultation
- Added and updated useful handouts for writers/clients